[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: NYTimes.com: Why Do Americans Stink at Math?

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:46:29 PDT 2014

Seems that there might be a deeper problem here: the need for schools to
sort kids by testing them. If we see that as the primary function of
schooling (which it arguably is in the U.S.), then the old way of teaching
math works great. Only those most dedicated students who don't have to work
jobs during high school (i.e. upper-class students) are going to have the
time to spend doing this frighteningly rote work (and parents' pushing is
important here too).

And the old method of teaching also happens to be well suited to the most
essential functionary of any sorting system: THE TEST. Those kids who
willing to regularly flog themselves with insanely rote math and science
problems will come out on top on these tests. I think Eric Mazur's
experience demonstrates this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwslBPj8GgI).
Mazur is a Physics teacher at Harvard who changed up his tests to evaluate
students on elementary concepts like the force exerted on a car and a truck
when they have a collision. He was shocked by what he found. His Harvard
students who could solve incredibly complex physics problems (many of whom
had aced their AP Physics exams in high school) were consistently getting
these elementary physics problems wrong! These students had learned
incredibly well how to solve recipe Physics but they had no idea about how
the basic principles of Physics worked.

One question I have is whether tests on a large scale will ever be able to
capture the kinds of embodied knowledge that Scribner's dairy workers and
the Brazilian peanut-selling youth have. It seems like this kind of
embodied knowledge is what Green is suggesting is included in the Common
Core. But I fail to see how this could ever be accomplished in a
traditional classroom.

And I don't think that this is just a problem of doing a better job of
teaching teachers how to teach the "new" way. Dewey pointed us to this
"new" way of doing math almost 100 years ago and yet, as Green notes, we
keep coming back to the other way of doing things. The problem here seems
to be with the broader context of American education - something that Green
seems to miss entirely.

What is needed is a deep consideration of what it is that American schools
are doing; why they exist; whose interests they serve (and consequently who
has the greatest impact on shaping policy and such). Seymour Sarason seems
to me to be one of the best in this regard (Consider his book, The
Predictable Failure of School Reform: Can We Change Course Before it is too
Late?
http://www.amazon.com/Predictable-Failure-Educational-Reform-Change/dp/1555426239/ref=la_B001H6P704_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406560135&sr=1-8
- and note in searching for this URL, I tried the URL "seymoursarason.com"
- suggested on the wikipedia page - and got an advertisement, entirely in
Japanese, for how Japanese housewives can make money in the cell phone
industry!).

With these questions of the importance of cultural context in mind, I
wonder: how does this real-world math work in Japan where, according to my
stereotypes of Japan's educational system, sorting by testing is an
essential feature of Japan's schooling system?
Is this method of teaching perhaps not as common in Japan as Green
suggests?
Or, is the impulse for sorting by testing less pronounced in Japan than I
assume?
Or is it something different altogether?
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor