[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: NYTimes.com: Why Do Americans Stink at Math?

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:22:10 PDT 2014

Michael,

The article explored multiple themes. The common core math curriculum was
one theme.
However, the article was also exploring developing the *craft* of teaching
through *shared practices* where teachers are secure enough to engage in
dialogue concerning the way they approach teaching. The focus on
*showing to say*  actually demonstrating their *craft* and others engaging
in the micro observations which could assist in the person developing their
*craft*.
It was the theme of creating institutional structures and the type of
social material practices where teachers invite other teachers to observe
their *lessons*.
A central point was that in North America the teachers spend 1000 to 1100
hours a year giving *lessons*  while in many other countries it is 700
hours.
I'm wondering how teaching would develop if those other 300 hours were used
in *developing the craft* in institutions where this shared practice was
vital and honoured.

The common core as pre-scribed targets is another theme which I agree works
against schools as places instituting situations which cultivate [old
fashioned term for culture] the teaching craft through the method of
*showing to say*

Yow do we disentangle these two opposing themes expressed in this article?
As I read the article I was struck by how different the day to day
practices of schooling are *cultivated* [bildung] within different cultural
con-texts.
Larry