[Xmca-l] Re: Acquisition of word meaning

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 04:22:24 PDT 2014

Larry--

Actually, I was thinking of Chapter Nine, "Structures of Feeling". For
Williams, a "Structure of Feeling" is very close to the unit of word
meaning, but of course it has the word "feeling" instead of "thinking", so
it is not at all susceptible to Andy's accusation of
over-intellectualization. Just as Vygotsky sees sense and signification as
making up two elements in tension within each word meaning, Williams finds
that every epoch has a "structure of feeling" peculiar to it. For the
ancient Greeks, it was the structure of feeling caused by inexorable fate
and by the tragic flaw, and for the industrial novels that my wife works on
it is the sympathy of the (middle class) author for the lower depths
counterbalanced by the terror and fear of their rage.

Williams then talks about the quite specific WORDINGS that authors found,
or rather, exapted--pillaging words, sentences, and even whole genres that
had belonged to other functions and using them for new functions. The
example my wife works on is the way that Elizabeth Gaskell exapted the
words, sentences, and plots of domestic romances which had been developed
as ways of teaching young women to choose the right man for her books "Mary
Barton" and "North and South"--these are books that defend and don't defend
working class terrorism and revolutonary unionism; the defense is in the
reported speech of the working class characters and in their reported
thought processes, while the failure to defend is in their conflict with
other characters (but not always with the narrator).

There was a pop song in China a few years ago with a refrain that went "Wo
hen chou lou, dan wo hen wen rou", which means something like "I am very
ugly, but I'm very gentle". You can see that this is a good example of a
"Structure of Feeling", but you can also see that there are many many ways
to word it. Halliday would say:

RELATOR: I am ugly. But...I'm gentle.
CIRCUMSTANCE: Being ugly, I am gentle as well.
PROCESS: My gentility gainsays my ugliness.
QUALITY: I am gently ugly.
ENTITY: My ugly gentility

You can see that using a relationship emphasizes the distinctness of the
ideas. It is also the most "canonical" way, and probably primoridal in
ontogenetic terms. But as children get older, they learn to express the
same ideas in non-canonical, metaphorical ways and as they do this the
elements of the structure of feeling are linked as well  as distinct (and
also, Andy would protest, less clear and more fuzzy). But that's the
process we call educatiion.

It is getting to be summer in Korea now and the Gingko trees are bearing
nuts. Some time in 1815, Goethe took two gingko leaves pasted them on a
parchment, sending them rather flirtatiously to a damsel he had met:

Gingo Biloba

 Dieses Baums Blatt, der von Osten

 Meinem Garten anvertraut,

 Gibt geheimen Sinn zu kosten,

 Wie's den Wissenden erbaut.

 Ist es Ein lebendig Wesen,

 Das sich in sich selbst getrennt?

 Sind es zwei, die sich erlesen,

 Dass man sie als eines kennt.

 Solche Frage zu erwidern,

 Fand ich wohl den rechten Sinn.

 Fühlst du nicht in meinen Liedern,

 Dass ich Eins und doppelt bin.

My wretched translation:

These tree leaves which from the East come

Now within my garden grow

There they share a secret teasing

Pleasing only those who know

Is one leaf a living being