[Xmca-l] Re: In Defense of Fuzzy Things

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Jul 15 22:34:16 PDT 2014

David, it may seem picky, but I can't agree with this formulation below,
in particular the use of "thinking". To interpret Vyotsky's observation
in terms of "thinking" is to *intellectualise* Vygotsky, or to put it
another way, to impute to Vygotsky an intellectualisation of human life.
This move was a principal line of attack of Vygotsky during the
Stalinist years after his death, so it is important not to repeat it
now. You correctly analysed the difference for a child of having a drunk
for a mother, rather than for a father or a neighbour. But this was not
a question of what the child *thought* about these relations, but the
real significance of each relation for the child having its vital needs
met, within the horizon of consciousness of the child. And I use
"consciousness" here as a Marxist, to indicate the entirety of
subjective processes of the child which mediate between their physiology
and their behaviour, not as a synonym for the intellect. The child will
perceive their situation (and threats to it) in the only way they can,
that is, in an age-appropriate way. And they will change their own
activity in response to the perceived threat also in an age- and
circumstances-appropriate way too. All of this - significance,
perception, needs - are not to be interpreted as categories of thinking,
but categories of the life-activity of living beings, that's all, not
necessarily thinking. But of course, the capacity for thinking - the use
of symbolic actions - and the capacity for extended reflection on an
experience, are additional resources and points of vulnerability, over
and above vital relations which do not imply intellectual relations.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/