[Xmca-l] Re: In Defense of Fuzzy Things

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 22:08:10 PDT 2014

Mike:

Thanks for the translation--it's pretty much what we came up with, except
that we translated "constitutional" as something more like "constituent". I
think that the puzzling part simply means that a mother is an actual
caretaker as opposed to a breadwinner, and so an alcoholic mother means
having someone who is alcoholic looking after you all the time, while a
father or a neighbour are more like neighborhood drunks.

To tell you the truth, it was me who introduced the flash mob. It was a
performance of Puccini's La Rondine, in particular the aria which goes:

Bevo al tuo fresco sorriso
Bevo al tuo sguardo profondo
All tua bocca che diese il mio nome...

(I drink to your fresh smile, I drink to your deep gaze, and to your mouth,
for having said my name!)

To which the reply is:

E il mio sogno ch s'averra
Se potessi sperare
che questo instante non muore...

(Here is my thought made truth, if I could only hope, that this moment
would not die...)

Yes, it's a typical romantic sentiment, combining the idea of the moment
that does not die with the feeling that thinking makes it so. But
Wordsworth, you know, was expressing a Romantic idea as well, the idea that
Vygotsky would later use in Psychology of Art. As I understand it, it goes
something like this. The machinery of art is artifice, but the emotions
they evoke are the real thing--tears are real tears, even when they are
shed at an unreal deathbed.

And contrariwise. Vygotsky tells he story of a horribly deformed child who
is ridiculed and humliated by his playmates, but cannot actually generalize
the experience--so he does not ever experience it as inferiority or even
humiliation; it is simply one bad experience amongst many. So the events of
real life are not so meaningful; they are, as Vygotsky says, "water on a
goose", simply pearls of dew on the back of an ugly duckling destined to
become a swan.

It's not that nothing is real until thinking makes it so; it is only that
meaning is made by thinking and not simply by experiencing. You can
actually see this in the Flash Mob--it is true that the people actually
singing are plants, and for them the reflective transformation of
experience into meaning has already happened when they planned it. But you
can also see that there is a gradual transformation amongst the onlookers
from shoppers to audience members. Besides, the video as  a whole appears
to have been shot at least in part with cell phones, and some of those, I
like to think, were contributed by the Chinese tourists.

You suggest that there cannot be a direct connection between Wordsworth and
the Russians. But I think Andy would say--and I would agree--that there
was, and his name was J.W. von Goethe. I would only add the names of
Carlyle and Hazlitt, both well known to Wordsworth, both of whom were
thoroughly steeped in the most up-to-date developments of German
philosophy.

But I certainly share your astonishment that these developments in German
philosophy are still so very up-to-date. Perhaps some moments do last
forever.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies