[Xmca-l] Re: LSV on language as a model of development

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 03:45:23 PDT 2014

Andy:

Well, to understand Vygotsky's purpose here, we really need a bit of
context. This is the fourth in a lecture series on pedology, delivered at
Herzen Pedagogical University (a teacher training college in Leningrad)
during the last few months of Vygotsky's life. So it was probably written
about the same time as Chapter One of Thinking and Speech. The students are
mostly in-service teachers from all over the USSR. (The manuscript comes
from Galina Korotaeva, the daughter of one of the in-service teachers who
ended up in a remote autonomous republic without a degree because the man
who took over after Vygotsky died, Katzenbogen, was shot for Trotskyism.
Fortunately, Korotaeva's father kept the lectures, which Vygotsky had
mimeoed and handed out to the teachers). It's an introductory course in
pedology, a doctrine that has already been pretty much banned in Leningrad
and Moscow, but which is still taught to people from the provinces (because
the all-Union decree banning pedology didn't come out until 1936).

The first lecture is about the topic of pedology, and it's for dead
beginners. Vygotsky establishes the the subject of pedology is child
development--not child psychology per se, or development per se.The second
lecture is about research methods, and it's here that Vygotsky talks alot
about the "unit of analysis". It is, as you say, a popular idea among
pedologists, because of its holism. Then Vygotsky promises two lectures
which apply the method of pedology--one to "heredity" and one to the
environment.

So the lecture I quoted, which can also be found in the Vygotsky Reader, is
one of a pendant, like the Chinese couplets that people hang up at New
Year's. The other lecture is Lecture Three (attached) which is about
heredity. The lecture on the environment is part of an argument that
Vygotsky is building which denies that development can be reduced to
either--the "unit of analysis" has to include both heredity and the
environment.

And so it does! Lived experience includes heredity because it is, at first,
based on lower level psychological functions: the senses, "feelings" rather
than emotions, natural attention and natural memory. That's what allows you
to experience. But it includes the environment--because that's what you
have to experience.

Anyway--here's my translation of Lecture Three. Sorry about the rather
literal, awkward translation--we are really aiming at a Korean translation,
so the closer I stick to the Russian the better. If anybody can find
errors, I'd be much obliged for their help.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

PS: Actually, I did read Capital, Hegel's Logic (The Shorter One) and
Vygotsky in the order you said. I suspect a lot of leftists do.

dk