[Xmca-l] Re: LSV on language as a model of development

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Jul 5 05:37:38 PDT 2014

Thank you for introducing this passage, David. What is Vygotsky's
interest here, do you think? If I were to say "Vygotsky is interested in
investigating the relation between doing and undergoing" I don't think
we'd be any the clearer, even though it it formally true and accords
with the title of the article. I suggest that Vygotsky's interest is
continuing his work on child development (where he used the concept of
Social Situation of Development) to find a foundation for a theory of
*personal development* which would be adequate beyond childhood. This
would mean that if we ask "What is an experience or a perezhivanie a
unit of?" we would answer "personality" or what is the same thing
"personal development" - since to understand the product of a process of
development (a personality) is to understand the process itself.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/