[Xmca-l] Re: Russian Academy of Education: Keep the Institute of Psychology open - Sign the Petition!

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 15:30:29 PST 2014

It seems that it is the building rather than the institute that is focal
point of concern.  What are the cultural politics of heritage buildings in
Russia, do they have any accord with UNESCO for example?

http://en.unesco.org/themes/protecting-our-heritage-and-fostering-creativity

100 years is not typically remarkable duration for European heritage
buildings but for a site of cultural practice situated within (and perhaps
in the face of)  the turbulence of Russian history does seem remarkable.

100 years seems like a good time to recognise some further status.  Perhaps
the petition should be directed to that? i.e. to recognising its cultural
heritage and ongoing role.

In its current form, I am not quite sure what "keep it open" means.  My
reflections were that something more specific and positive might be good.

Best,
Huw