[Xmca-l] Re: Sociocritical Literacies and more context

Zavala, Miguel mizavala@exchange.fullerton.edu
Wed Dec 31 11:44:30 PST 2014

Aria and Larry,

I want to add to your inquiry on testimonio. The discussion reminds me of
the nuances of such a term (as concept, experience, expression, etc.).
*Witnessing* can be construed as passive but I believe it also involves
what Freire termed a particular kind of "naming". One of the (many)
central problems raised by testimonio, which I also find in standpoint
theory (Harding), is the question/tension/exploration of individual AND
collective voicing.

I will stretch the analysis here a bit and dare say that testimonio is
more than a meditational tool--it is a collective object (*achievement* as
standpoint theorists would say) that closes spaces (resolves
contradictions, primary, secondary, tertiary, even contrarieties)-- it is
perhaps an unmediated relation between self and other. It is indeed
"radical, going to the roots of our being human together."

-Miguel