[Xmca-l] Re: Time, Imagination, Metaphor

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 13:28:35 PST 2014

terms, terms, terms.
Ontological.
Just wanted to mention that there are different understandings of this term
"ontological". The classic understanding of "ontological" is that it refers
to the "real" nature of things in time and space.

But there is a new understanding of "ontological" that has come up in the
social sciences in the past 20 years or so that takes seriously the
possibility of "plural ontologies" - i.e. that there may be different
"reals" constituted by people in different times and places - all of them
"real" (if perhaps "real" in different ways). The hope of this literature
is to get beyond subjective/objective dualism that is implied in the
classical formulation of "ontological".

I feel that these are important considerations to keep in mind so that we
don't talk too much past each other. I think that it is also important to
keep these in mind so that we can appreciate how the concerns of XMCA folks
might intersect with current conversations in social theory.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor