[Xmca-l] Re: Time, Imagination, Metaphor

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 08:58:50 PST 2014

Francine, Henry
Thanks for these replies.
THIS opens up a vast *field*
One quick question. The term "phenomenologist or phenomenology may be a
term that has many meanings.
Francine, when you write:

If my semiotic system does not orient me to see a wall in front of me, I
will still walk into a wall. If my semiotics do not allow for the
perception that a car is coming at me, and I do not move Will still get hit
by the car"
I understand that phenomenology says to look *at* the *things* themselves.
in other words, look at "walking into the wall" look at "swerving to avoid
the wall"  look at "the way we use "semiotic systems".  look at the way "we
abstract" from the things themselves.

Husserl's phenomenology which is Kantian is NOT phenomenology. I understand
phenomenology as sharing and overlapping and existing "within" notions such
as Kris "Third Space" as a thing itself that is both forming AND formed as
phenomenologically existent..
For me the "border" that is interesting in phenomenology is between
Heidegger or Sartre who privilege subjective phenomena and the
hermeneutical and embodied [carnal]  approaches of intersubjective
phenomenology.
Kris' exploration of the hybrid testimonio AS PERFORMED within subjective
[autobiography] AND intersubjective [radically reciprocal dialogue] and
form[ing] a hybrid "space" [a third space] which becomes "community" can be
seen as a performance of "gap-filling' which is a semiotic and a
phenomenological and an existential action [and activity] . When
this hybrid third space becomes "familiar" [like family] a new TYPE or
GENRE of "trust" develops from which "I" and "we" can move "out" or "in" to
the wider world of phenomenologically existent "things" themselves
[including semiological things]

I am a novice in my understanding of phenomenology, but it is a
historically situated TYPE of knowing [and seeing and action] as
emphasizing the things themselves. What gets high-lighted and focused "on"
may be different but does not exclude the things I have mentioned as the
things placed "in front" of our "selves"

To summarize, Kris' "third space" as imaginal  "place" AND an actual
"place" BOTH form[ing] AND formed is a hybrid space/place.

David Kellogg's exploration of grammatical metaphor [and its place in
trans-versals "of" the subjective/intersubjective  performance and
trans-versals "of" the fact/'fiction performance are phenomena that can be
looked "at" from both "within" or without" . From within the form[ing] or
from without "as" the sedimented already form[ed].. David K is now "in" my
head [or "in" my body] with grammatical metaphor calling me to pay
attention.

What Kris adds is the centrality of the "third space' is a moral virtue
[cosmopolitanism] with the CALL for being "obligated" to respond to our
humanness. This connects with Francine's call for cultural synergy
Larry