[Xmca-l] Re: Time, Imagination, Metaphor

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 11:13:32 PST 2014

My concern with using de Saussure's terms are

(1) that most people use the term 'paradigm' or 'paradigmatic'
as referring to a world view as a result of Thomas Kuhn's 1967 book.
The way de Saussure used paradigmatic is what I call Aristotelian logic
(something is either A or not A).

(2) Syntagmatic as considering both this and that is what I usually
think of as Dialetical Reasoning.

Of course, de Saussure is refering to substituting words in a sentence
rather than focusing on concepts.

Perhaps, Kris Guittieriz will comment on Henry's suggestion about
'vertical' and 'horizontal' being akin to paradigmatic and syntagmatic.