[Xmca-l] Re: Time, Imagination, Metaphor

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Fri Dec 19 21:06:48 PST 2014

Hello Francine (and Larry),

Yes! Let's not forget perception and imagination!

And let me second subjective perspectives and bibliographic references!

[If anyone has any to add to the ABC that come to mind, please forward them to me!  TQ]

I fully enjoy the noodle into pasta example. Are you saying that time is metaphysical? Would space be metaphysical too?

Robert brought up a perfect example of the Hopi's view of time and the Guugu Yimithirr of Australia and their method of employing cardinal directions to orient themselves in space.
http://xmca.ucsd.edu/yarns/15874?keywords=#52113

That example also reminded me of the Greek Poet Simonides of Ceos and the Memory Palace... see the Extreme Memory Tournament
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/remembering-as-an-extreme-sport/
and the book that tells you how to remember everything:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03E3DF1E3FF93BA35750C0A9679D8B63

Also Francine, when you say:
> The 'Natural' Science that arises from European culture begins as mechanical physics and alchemy in which machines have parts and chemicals have elements. It has evolved into the study of energy, and systems theory.

I wanted to say, don't forget to include astrology with alchemy and mechanical physics!  :) (Which is an ancient systems theory) and then becomes astronomy, and this has certainly altered our sense of both time and space by light years!  :)

Kind regards,

Annalisa