[Xmca-l] Re: FW: Re: Chomsky, Vygotsky, and phenomenology

Aria Razfar arazfar@uic.edu
Wed Dec 17 13:59:12 PST 2014

Hi Martin,

Metaphor was my take and other cognitive linguist's take (i.e. Lakoff). I
believe his rejection of "Metaphor" at least in the embodied cognition sense
is rooted in the "Linguistics Wars." Several people in this thread as well
others in the field of cognitive linguistics made the claim that he was and
remains a Cartesian dualist. He definitely does not consider himself as
such. In order to establish the field of linguistics, he had to position it
within the broader arch of western enlightenment and romanticism. Hence, the
title of the book.

Aria

Aria Razfar, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Literacy, Language, and Culture
Director of Graduate Studies, Curriculum and Instruction
University of Illinois at Chicago
1040 W. Harrison St. M/C 147
Chicago, IL, 60607

Director of English Learning through Mathematics, Science and Action
Research (ELMSA)
www.elmsa.org

Webpage: http://education.uic.edu/personnel/faculty/aria-razfar-phd
Tel: 312-413-8373