[Xmca-l] Re: FW: Re: Chomsky, Vygotsky, and phenomenology

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Wed Dec 17 13:46:30 PST 2014

Hi Aria,

It would help to see the message that Noam is responding to! I don't see, for example, how metaphor crept into this discussion. (Actually, looking back through the thread, I see that this was your proposal.)

I suppose a lot depends on what one means by being "a Cartesian." As I just wrote in another message, Chomsky was, I think, positioning his approach to linguistics in a tradition in which Descartes was prominent: in which one tries to figure out what makes possible a specific characteristic or ability of the mind. Chomsky asked what universal competence would be necessary to make language possible - any language.

I'm not trying to attach a label to the man; but he give the book its title for a reason, and a very respectable one.

Martin