[Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed Dec 10 21:13:20 PST 2014

Hi Mike,

What does it mean then, that David Brooks is evoking this compound standpoint? Do you think he'll be ostracized and locked up?

Does this mean that the 4th estate is feigning concern only to reproduce (and thus affirm) the same problems of inequality?

Kind regards,

Annalisa

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:45 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

I resonated to your argument for a race/class "​compound standpoint,"​ Miguel.
​
When I was growing up, people who argued about the social injustice of​
class inequalities and against the rich becoming richer while the poor
became poorer were at the very minimum ostrascized and in some cases locked
up. There was the triumpheralism of being an "affluent society."

​Today the notion of the 1-99 percent gets lots of attention --- and the
congress agrees to make the situation worse.

Little wonder that those whose compound standpoint is from the perspective
of the less power​ful seek out third spaces in which to embody alternatives
to vicious inequalities.

mike