[Xmca-l] Re: Reading for Novices

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 16:48:48 PST 2014

Among other things, Vygotsky was a prolific and brilliant writer of
prefaces to other people's books: yesterday I noticed that one of the more
poetic tropes he uses, citing the art historian J.W. Richter and Tolstoy
about how the step from being a five year old to being Isaac Newton is
nothing compared to the step from being a one year old to being a five year
old, is lifted straight from a preface he wrote to a book on teachiing the
severely mentally retarded by "Auntie Katie", a popular columnist in Soviet
newspapers.

The problem is, of course, that he doesn't write these nice long prefaces
to his OWN books (and in fact often doesn't even have time to finish them).
So we've been publishing a "Collected Works" series of Vygotsky's works
here in Korea. The books themselves are in Korean, but I put up English
versions of the Prefaces on my academia.edu site:

https://www.academia.edu/8382956/Biography_of_a_Text_Thinking_and_Speech_at_Seventy-eight

https://www.academia.edu/5196245/Untangling_a_genetic_root_of_Thinking_and_Speech_A_textology_of_Tool_and_Sign

https://www.academia.edu/8493475/Foreword_to_Volume_One_of_Vygotskys_History_of_the_Development_of_the_Higher_Mental_Functions_Korean_Edition_

https://www.academia.edu/8493490/Foreword_to_Volume_Two_of_Vygotskys_History_of_the_Development_of_the_Higher_Mental_Functions_Korean_Edition_

https://www.academia.edu/9643101/Dilemmas_Into_Aporias

The first two (Preface to "Thinking and Speech" and Preface to "Tool and
Sign") have been published elsewhere, but all the others are an xmca
exclusive!

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies