[Xmca-l] Re: Reading for Novices

Natalia Gajdamaschko nataliag@sfu.ca
Sun Dec 7 15:53:40 PST 2014

Hi Annalisa,
In my Vygotsky intro seminar I use the combination of the following two texts:

1) The Cambridge Companion to Vygotsky Paperback – April 30, 2007
by Harry Daniels (Editor), Michael Cole  (Editor), James V. Wertsch (Editor)  http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Companion-Vygotsky-Harry-Daniels/dp/0521537878/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417996005&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Cambridge+Companion+of+Vygotsky

2) Vygotsky's Educational Theory in Cultural Context (Learning in Doing: Social, Cognitive and Computational Perspectives) Paperback – September 15, 2003
by Alex Kozulin (Editor), Boris Gindis (Editor), Vladimir S. Ageyev (Editor), Suzanne M. Miller (Editor) http://www.amazon.com/Vygotskys-Educational-Cultural-Context-Learning/dp/0521528836/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

And, of course, for those articles that are easy to find on-line, we should thank Andy and his Vygotsky archive --http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/index.htm

Combination of those seem to work very well for my students.
Best wishes,
Natalia.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Annalisa Aguilar" <annalisa@unm.edu>
Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:40:59 PM
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Reading for Novices

Hello Henry, Bella, Larry, and Miguel!

Thanks one and all for your recommendations!

I should have asked for articles that are easily to find online too. There are a few in the texts offered, but if there are others, I am patiently hoping for others to point me to some articles if there are any you can think of.

I decided to list these out in one post for anyone who would like to see a list in one place of introductory texts:

Introductory Texts for CHAT Novices

*****
- Martin, J. & Kirschner S., (2010), The Sociocultural Turn in Psychology

     The following articles appear in the title above:

     - Cole, M. & Gajdamashko, N., (2010), "Vygotsky and Context: Toward a Resolution"

     - Martin, J. & Kirschner, S., (2010), "The Sociocultural Turn in Psychology: An Introduction and an Invitation"

     - Stetsenko, A., & Arievitch, I. (2010), "Cultural-Historical Activity Theory: Foundational Worldview, Major Principles, and the Relevance of Sociocultural Context"

*****
- Rogoff, B., (2013) Cultural Nature of Human Development

*****
- Vygotsky, L.S., (1978),  Mind in Society

*****
- Wertsch, J., (1988), Vygotsky and the Social Formation of Mind

*****
- Yasnitsky, A., van der Veer, R., & Ferrari, M., (2014) The Cambridge Handbook of Cultural-Historical Psychology

*****

--end