[Xmca-l] Re: The meaning of affordances

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:59:26 PST 2014

Helena,

After your post I went to the WIKI site and have been reading about the
interactions of the Laboratory and the Communications Department at UCSD
This section is relevant:

*Acknowledging that information and knowledge can also be located in the
world beyond the individual, be that a physical or social environment,
certainly shifts the balance of the analysis away from a "single minded"
and "egocentric" cognitivism but it begs the question of just what mediates
the relationship between the two.(p. 2).* David then linked the issue of
collective memory to the fundamental problematic of the lab, the relation
between culture and cognitive development.

*Consideration of the notion of collective memory and the activity of
collective remembering provides a link between culture and mind in the
following sense. The properties of a culture,embodied in its
artifacts,tools,social customs and institutions,language and terms of
reference,provide a historical dimension to everyday living that enables
knowledge of what has already happened or been achieved to be used in the
service of present and future activity.Our modes of being and doing are
cultural products that constitute a guiding constraint concerning what form
our present and future actions should or could take.*

The concerns expressed in the papers, and the methods that different
scholars were bringing to the problem almost thirty years ago remain
central areas of concern as this text is being written.

[comment from LP] And this text is continuing to be written here and now.
The WIKI is an excellent place to *start*
Larry