[Xmca-l] Re: Barsalou's Grounded Cognition Theory

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 07:52:44 PST 2014

Martin,
The example comes from an article he wrote, "The Hermeneutics of Symbols
and Philosophical Reflection"
I was actually using the imaginal symbol of *captivity* to point to the
more general relationship of the *literal* and the *beyond* which comes
into *being through the symbolic.

The way these cultural historical symbols guide or orient *interpretive
communities*
Suzanne Kirschner wrote a book "the Religious and Romantic Roots of
Psychanalysis" which outlines the symbolic imaginal of "falling away AND
return" which she traces through Neo-Platonism, the Protestant mystical
tradition and moves through or in to psychoanalysis.

It was Ricouer's general exploration of symbol [at this level or time scale
of situations the level that guides zeitgeists] that I was attempting to
weave together with *grounded cognition*.
If Ricouer and Kirschner are pointing to a *real* phenomena then the
relation of the *literal* and the *metaphorical* exploring *trans*
positioning opens up stituations or *events* to what Merleau Ponty calls
*excess* [the beyond]
It is this realm which I'm suggesting is a *gap* which  metaphorical power
or force assists in coming into being through the imaginal.
I am speculating that to understand *cognition* as multimodal then this
time scale as a mode or path also guides our *quests* or questions.
In other words the questions as grounded in the literal but calling us
beyond the literal is the realm Ricouer and Kirschner are exploring.

To situate Suzanne Kirscher, she co-authored the book "The sociocultural
Turn in Psychology* with Jack Martin.
Larry