[Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Fri Aug 29 18:10:44 PDT 2014

Well, there certainly is a lot to be said about Highlander!
I would be very willing to participate in a collaborative effort to
recall this amazing institution to MCA readers. As it happens, its
current incarnation, the Highlander Research and Education Center, is
celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Summer next month, but
one of the astounding features of this place is that it has survived
alive through 82 years in the heart of Dixie teaching radical democracy
to integrated classes and taking its students out on to picket lines and
voter registration drives as part of their "course work". Absolutely
astounding. It is also a "design experiment" inasmuch as Myles Horton
used it to "experiment" to develop his methods of social change. And a
rare case in which a school has literally changed history, and
consciously so.
But the fact is that I am a foreigner who only learnt that this place
existed a couple of weeks ago. Robert Lake on the other hand does know a
lot about it, and maybe Helena Worthen would like to contribute. The
larger context in which it has arisen in my research may just be too
large to introduce into a review article which does Highlander justice,
but I could add a line or too on that if Robert could write the bulk of it.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/