[Xmca-l] Re: About 「hope 」 in socio-cultural research

Zavala, Miguel mizavala@exchange.fullerton.edu
Sun Aug 24 19:55:07 PDT 2014

Jing Jing,

I recommend looking at the work of Paulo Freire.  There are
cultural-historical strands in his work, in particular the grounding in
Historical Materialism.

You also might want to look at how hope is mediated and how it mediates
other processes.  One thing I've been looking at is how hope is generated
in and through the very experience of marginalization / oppression. The
experience of marginalization / oppression, when we 'take a distance' from
it (I.e. Reflect critically) becomes a resource for transforming that very
marginalization / oppression.

I think hope is also found in the quiet corners of mediation, always
present, the distance between 'subject' and 'object' opening horizons of
possibility for learning and development.  Without getting to obscure
here, hope is mediation.

Miguel