[Xmca-l] Re: Email Format Conventions

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 14:54:22 PDT 2014

(I have the 'plain text mode' set on this. Hope it works! Now if only
I could get it to proofread my posts a little better....)

As I understood it, Ageliki's request for assistance was actually
request for assistance in writing an article. I hope that she is
looking for a serious theoretical argument. This is the sort of
argument we regularly have on this list. For example, we had a number
of people writing in from Australia to defend the use of direct
instruction methods with Aboriginal kids not too long ago. I remember
this well because I took the other side, AGAINST Engelmann and
company, but one of my graduate students was sufficiently impressed to
try to design thesis work around Engelmann's work. I haven't changed
my position (and I'm very pleased to report that my grad student
eventually abandoned Engelmann's work in some disgust).

But the problem that Ageliki has brought us is really more interesting
than Engelmann, DI and neobehaviorism. Ageliki says that it's hard to
find any good, serious literature arguing, in a pre-school context,
that more formal, or in Bernsteinian terms, strongly framed and
strongly classified, curricula will help overcome the apparent
problems that working class kids (but not middle class kids) have in
school. On the one hand, there IS such a litterature: this is in fact
the argument that took place between Bernstein and Labov, and later
between genre based teaching based on Halliday, Christie, Martin,
Painter, and Hasan and what is called, in the USA, "Academic
Literacies", based on the work of Labov, Brian Street, the New London
Group, and also, more indirectly, on the work of Scribner and Cole in
Liberia. But on the other hand, Ageliki's right: it IS hard to find
literature which takes the Bernsteinian argument seriously, and it's
worth discussing why this should be.

Let me take the first hand by the hand first. Mike wants to know if
there was any non-DI teaching method used in a preschool context which
is based on strongly framed and strongly classified knowledge. There
was and there is. First of all, the "Headstart" programme, for
example, was an explicit attempt to do exactly what Ageliki is talking
about--as the name suggests, the work that middle class kids do in
first grade was introduced to working class kids and minorities in
kindergarten, in order to give them a head start. The problem for
Ageliki is that the "Headstart" programme, widespread and successful,
was not really theorized beyond that very simple idea (no Vygotsky and
no Halliday). So my suggestion would be to look at genre based
teaching in Australia, particularly as written about by Robert Veel,
David Rose, Clare Painter, Frances Christie, and above all Beverly
Derewianka. Interestingly, the backlash against genre based teaching
in Australia was led by Engelmann and DI and not by Academic
Literacies.

Genre based teaching is very explicitly based on the Bernsteinian
argument: a mismatch between the language of home and the language of
school is going to occur for working class children but not for middle
class children. Because their parents work, working class kids tend to
play with each other rather than with their parents. They also spend
more time with television and less time with books, with the result
that visiographic modes of thinking are more highly developed than
symbolic ones. Therefore, middle class kids will find it much much
easier to work with "implicit" language norms than working class
children, and working class children will benefit from explicit
instruction in what a particular academic genre looks like (e.g.
writing a description of how beans sprout instead of simply telling a
story about it), for the same reason that kids coming from foreign
language backgrounds benefit from explicit instruction in the grammar
and vocabulary of English. This is, as I understand it, the argument
that Ageliki is actually looking for, and it is indeed, as Mike wants
to know, a well worked out teaching method.

The more serious contrary argument is essentially a naturalistic one.
It is that language knowledge is always in the final analysis
"knowledge how" rather than "knowledge that". So by introducing a
separate, "declarative knowledge" stage, we are actually delaying the
progress of working class kids towards naturalizing knowledge of
academic genre and producing a kind of remediation which will mire
them in a game of catch up. The "Academic Literacies" argument,
therefore, is that genre based teaching places too much stress on
language, too much stress on text, too much stress on product, and the
stress should rather be on practices. Even if we accept that different
practices can lead to different ulitmate products (i.e. restricted
codes can lead to non-academic genres instead of the academic genres
that we are trying to teach), we must also accept that at times
different  practices can also lead to the same product, and this is
essentially the argument that people like J.P. Gee and David Block
have made, and it is pretty easy to see how it is based on the work of
Scribner and Cole. (There is a good discussion of the differences--and
the complementarities--in the Journal of English for Academic
Purposes, 11, 2012, a special issue edited by Caroline Coffin and John
Donohue, but unfortunately there is no discussion of preschool or even
elementary school).

But let me consider the second hand too. I recently wrote a piece on
rather structured play in elementary school and the effect it had on
developing grammar and vocabulary. I gave it the somewhat unfortunate
title "Forced Choices" and submitted it to a journal of "dialogic"
pedagogy. Although it was recommended for publication by two of the
three reviewers, it was actually rejected by the editors, who supplied
a long list of recommendations that I had to comply with before they
would consent to publication. These included changing the title, and
also changing the tenor of the argument--in favor of play for fun
rather than for some academic purpose. It seems to me that this is
actually fairly common practice: the more we write about elementary
school and preschool, the more monolithic, and may I say, demogogic we
find the academic consensus.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies