[Xmca-l] what-is-the-most-blatant-lie-taught-through-pakistan-textbooks

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Sat Aug 16 06:26:49 PDT 2014

http://www.dawn.com/news/1125484/what-is-the-most-blatant-lie-taught-through-pakistan-textbooks

One of my Pakistani students send me this interesting piece on how history is taught (or mis-taught) in Pakistan. Similar work has been done by Jim Loewen on American history books in Lies My Teacher Told Me, which is now a bit old but I suspect still on target (I haven’t read any US history textbooks in a while, but know that their construction is highly ideological). If you’re interested in such things (see also Jim Wertsch, Revising Russian History, http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2012_11.dir/pdfXHJbi94oHi.pdf), this page is pretty interesting, and also might help inform you (as it did me) about Pakistan’s complex history. p