[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:31:34 PDT 2014

Maria,
I appreciate your critical response very much. The accusations of dualism
are probably apt despite my dispreference for dualisms. Part of the trouble
is simply figuring out how to communicate the ideas in a way that will be
understandable to others, particularly with regard to the individual and
the context. Gregory Bateson suggested the term
"organism-in-the-environment" which we could easily translate to
"individual-in-the-environment". And yet it isn't clear how well proposing
this unity would push back against the everyday common sense notion that
the individual moves through (quite literally) different environments.
There is certainly mutual constitution going on here (consider the
difference between a blind and a seeing man walking through a city, or,
perhaps an autistic woman vs. a non-autistic woman moving through a social
space imbued with meaning such as a high school cafeteria), but there is
also something that the individual brings along with them as they move
through the world (is that better than saying "from context to context"?).
As much as I like the push for non-dualism (and I think it should be the
goal here), I'm struggling with the words to capture a non-dualistic
approach.

To that end, I wonder if you might be willing to say more about your
dissertation research. Can you take us up to the level of the concrete
realities you were dealing with and briefly describe what this kind of
analysis looks like with concrete examples so that we might begin to see
what language you use to describe these things as well as giving us
concrete examples of what an "object" of activity looks like?

-greg