[Xmca-l] Re: Psychology of Language

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:35:17 PDT 2014

Larry--

I am still puzzling over the first sentence:

"Writing, as all life is, is activity."

Compare:

"What life is is an activity."

"What lifeness lives is activeness."

I guess what puzzles me is the lack of activity in the use of "to be".
Relational verbs are very strange beings, and even stranger as processes.
As processes, they require two different kinds of be-ers to work, and they
claim set up a tautology that really isn't one.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies