[Xmca-l] Re: Films of developmental education

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:43:28 PDT 2014

Hello Elina,

That's quite a heritage to grow up with.   And its fabulous of you to share
this history.

One fairly significant motive I have in pursuing this line of study is an
awareness that it is actually do-able.  To run a school under these
principles and foster real developments, not to waste children's time with
robotic tasks or to discourage contemplation.

The film(s) might help with that.  There are some "tough minded" teachers
for whom watching films of this sort may be enough to question their
conviction in rote teaching methods.  The other side to the coin is the
tortuous (and torturous) administration that goes into schools.  One only
needs to attend to teacher based list-serves to realise that they have only
time (and motive) for bread-crumb sized problems, "has anyone got a
template for the make-and-sell part of module xyz" etc.  If one teacher
does some real design work, there'll be one hundred more asking for a copy.
 What's the point in design if the aim is to pass exams?

The films help too in grounding my (our) studies of this aspect of the
theory (learning activity).  At present my point of enquiry is with respect
to a technical definition and deeper appreciation of motive.  I sense that
Zinchenko had things to say about how the structure of activity (and
motive) shows up in memory and I am looking forward to working through
those papers.  There is, fortunately, some good material -- more, at least,
than my problematising can presently cope with.  :)

Mediation and memory are central parts of my PhD research.  Davydovian
principles play a significant part (creative appreciation of mathematical
objects etc) although I am somewhat at arms length with his germ cell
notion.

The youtube film of "2 x 2 = x" that Mike posted ends rather abruptly, so I
suspect you have a longer more complete version of this film.  I'm most
happy to see about creating versions of the film(s) with subtitles.  I'm
handicapped by not speaking Russian, but I think I can find helpers...

Best,
Huw