These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.
These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: New publication from routledge



Paul-

I have been wanting for some time to join the conversation initiated by
the article for discussion at xmca. I greatly appreciate the way in which
your work articulates with and extends different threads of long standing
concern at lchc.

Your book looks fascinating. I personally have been musing over your
notions of a multi-cultural/multi-national middle/upper class that
amplifies
the inequalities generated by capitalism. I think we can all agree that
constructivism is a mode of enculturation predicated on contemporary modes
and relations of production -- it were ever so, capitialism or no, that
schooling has played this role. And for sure, those of us writing in this
medium who have these concerns are deeply implicated/complicit in the
existence of the systems of governance and inequality we deplore -- a
difficult truth. That problem, too,

I hope the discussion you initiated will continue and perhaps amplify --
there are knowledgeable people out there in xmca-land who could contribute
interesting thoughts if they can find the time.

With respect to the new book, there is a real irony. At $125.00 it is out
of the reach for many of the people who, I assume, you would like to see
appropriate and use the ideas it contains.

Contradictions all the way round.

mike


On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Dr. Paul C. Mocombe <
pmocombe@mocombeian.com> wrote:

> "Race and class distinctions within black communities: a racial caste in
> class" by Paul c. Mocombe, carol tomlin, and cecile wright
>
> http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415714372/
>
>
>
> Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
> President
> The Mocombeian Foundation, Inc.
> www.mocombeian.com
> www.readingroomcurriculum.com