From: Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com>
Date: 11/05/2013  7:28 AM  (GMT-05:00)
To: "Dr. Paul C. Mocombe" <pmocombe@mocombeian.com>,"eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: Black Underachievement, etc.

That is a valid point Paul.  There is now a movement which entails using indigenous pedagogy - it started in the early eighties, but has not really taken root.

Unfortunately in South Africa at that time, we could not facilitate the developing of such, because in apartheid people was asked to stay with their "origins" in separate physical spaces, as you no doubt know. Western ways were ALL. With very small children statring out in literacy, (Grade 1) we could start with culturally consonant pedagogy, such as the language experience approach.  In one regio, there was what called a "mixed approach" which I wrote about.

Black people   here generally wanted to buy in to western pedagogy and western lifestyles, with conspicuous consumption and so on. There is now a revaluing of "indigenous knowledge systems" (IKS), but it hasn't percolated into formal education.

Sorry I can't articulate this paradigm in the same way as Andy and Paul, but I do hope that I have made a valid point.

Carol