[Xmca-l] Re: FW: CALL FOR PAPERS: Studies in Mathematics Education based on Historical-Cultural Theory

Ulvi,

V. V. Davydov addressed mathematics education directly:

Davydov, V.V. (1975). The psychological characteristics of the "prenumerical" period of mathematics instruction. In L. P. Steffe (Ed.), Soviet studies in the psychology of learning and teaching mathematics (Vol. 7, pp. 109-206). Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.

Davydov, V. V. (1990). Types of generalization in instruction: Logical and psychological problems in the structuring of school curricula. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (Original work published 1972).

His work remains current in mathematics education thought today, owing (among others) to the work of Jean Schmittau (I'm attaching a preprint of her 2012 review):

Schmittau, J. (1993). Vygotskian scientific concepts: Implications for mathematics education. In J. Schmittau & L. Taylor, (Eds.), Focus on Learning Problems in Mathematics, 15(2,3), 29-39.

Schmittau, J. (2004). Vygotskian theory and mathematics education: Resolving the conceptual-procedural dichotomy. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 19, 19-43.

Schmittau, J. (2005). The development of algebraic thinking: A Vygotskian perspective. Zentralblatt Fur Didaktik Der Mathematik, 37, 16-22.

Schmittau, J. (2012). The challenge of developmental instruction. A review of Problems of Developmental Instruction: A Theoretical and Experimental Psychological Study, by V.V. Davydov, New York: Nova Science, 2008.  Mind, Culture, and Activity,

As well, Luis Radford and K. Yoshida have addressed Vygotskyan ideas in mathematics education:

Radford, L. (1999). On culture and mind: A post-Vygotskian semiotic perspective with an example from Greek mathematical thought.(pre-print No. 2/1999). Ontario, Canada: Université Laurentienne.

Yoshida, K. (2004).  Understanding how the concept of fractions develops: A Vygotskian perspective. Proceedings of the 28th Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, Vol. 4, 473-480. [includes an analysis of the Vygotskyan/Hegelian idea of sublation] http://www.emis.de/proceedings/PME28/RR/RR204_Yoshida.pdf

I'm sure there is much more current work, but this is a start. Please share any off-line references you receive.

David