[Xmca-l] Re: Do adults play?

<< Imagination is a new formation that is not present in the consciousness
of the very young child, is totally absent in animals, and represents a
specifically human form of conscious activity. Like all functions of
consciousness, it originally arises from action. The old adage that
children’s play is imagination in action can be reversed: we can say that
imagination in adolescents and schoolchildren is play without action.  >>

http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1933/play.htm