[Xmca-l] Re: A Question about Reading and Motivation

Yes, once one learns to read for meaning in Dewey's sense, and mine,
marvelous things may result.

The acquisition of reading, however, is not governed by phylogenetic
constraints in the same way that the acquisition of oral/sign language is.
It is a cultural-historically developed mode of mediated meaning making.
With few exceptions, it requires literate others to arrange for it to
happen.

Consequently, getting there through the meat grinder of modern schooling,
is a continuing
issue. As is the notion of the violence of literacy.

mike
(The Dickens freak)