[Xmca-l] Re: Activity Setting

On 12 August 2013 18:12, Lubomir Savov Popov <lspopov@bgsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> I am also interested to find the term "activity setting" in Vigotsky's
> writings or those of his followers, including everyone in the East European
> activity theory tradition. I would appreciate articles or specific
> references and page numbers. I need this to anchor some ideas and to pay
> tribute to earlier theorists if they have worked on this.
>
> I am also interested if there are people on this list who work on the
> development of the concept of activity setting or on activity theory in
> relation to the planning and design of built environment. They can contact
> me at the e-mail below my signature or via this list, whichever is more
> convenient. I was going to make such a request on this list some time ago,
> but now is a good occasion for this.

Hi Lubomier

Jan Derry's philosophical work on educational design, e.g.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2729.2007.00246.x/abstract

Harry Daniels<http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4fKt9MU9w_cC&pg=PT4&dq=Harry+Daniels+2010&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-C8JUtz2NKya1AXk04H4Dw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=Harry%20Daniels%202010&f=false>&
James
Wertsch<http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pn3S9TEjvUAC&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=implicit+mediation+companion+to+vygotsky&source=bl&ots=CMtGYR6cDR&sig=rwVa0RCxGXg6uvgU08WaVHbs8VI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eC8JUt6lCOWI0AXG34HYBQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=implicit%20mediation%20companion%20to%20vygotsky&f=false>on
implicit mediation is relevant.

A popular historical on buildings (Stuart Brand):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvEqfg2sIH0

My personal favourite (for buildings) is Christopher Alexander's original
works: A synthesis of form and the 3 volume pattern language (life
affirming architecture).

If one subscribes to the notions of Conway's
law<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_law> then
one should also be studying the activity of the designers and the influence
of the environment.

I have more design centric references (without reference to Activity
theory) if want them.

Best,
Huw