[Xmca-l] Re: Leontyev's activities --NEEDS

On 10 August 2013 18:21, Lubomir Savov Popov <lspopov@bgsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Huw,
>
> Regarding the production of needs: I might be a bit scholastic in this
> mail, but I will refer directly to historical materialism and traditional
> activity theorists. Over there, it is an axiom that needs are emergent and
> they are a product of the interaction of the individual and his/her
> context/environment (in the process of activity). This definition is quite
> simplified in order to serve as a principle. There are definitions with a
> number of ramifications to take all influences into consideration.

Thank you, Lubomir.  That assertion/confirmation tidies things up a little
bit (in terms of expectations).

> >From a particular aspect/point of view, it is OK to say that a need is a
> product of environment. However, historical materialists are very
> considerate about the human individual and the activity. One of the
> problems with different definitions is that they are designed to work at
> different levels of abstraction and for different purposes, which means
> different disciplines.
>
> Psychologists tend to see needs as foundations for developing the motives.
> However, in some fields of economics and design, needs can be viewed as
> objects that satisfy needs (what objects you need) or the features of the
> objects (I need a mid-size car). In design, needs are seen as functions
> (what functions you need). Depending on the discipline, one and the same
> phenomenon might be seen as a need, a function, or a motive, etc.

Well these various interpretations on need are all contingent on the
localised pursuits.  E.g. the needs of "the development of mind" are not
typically considered with respect to technological design.  Yet (rather
obviously) their lack of attention does not mean that they are not
pertinent.

> It is difficult to find consistent treatise on needs, in particular,
> outside of psychology. My problem is that in psychology needs are treated
> like motives. At that point, substantial differences emerge in the types of
> definitions, classifications, and archeologies of the phenomena.
>
> Just a few thoughts,

Thank you for these, Lubomir.

Best,
Huw