From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Helena Worthen
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:34 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity; Greg Thompson
Subject: Re: [xmca] A.A. Leontiev on his father: very sad and lamentable :))

I agree with Greg's suggestion that some scholarship, maybe most, had been motivated by a "beef."  I don't think of this as a darker force, however.
I think it's the desire to have the question at hand include everyone.

You know how so many books on learning theory begin with a semi-historical sweep across other thinkers? And then the author seems to be saying, "Yes, very good, but what about.....?" This sweep is different on the one hand from just drawing a historical chart of influences with lines connecting names and dates, and different on the other hand from Knud Illeris' book "Contemporary Theories of Learning: Learning Theorists ...in their own words" -- which is certainly not a beef-generated book. It lets people say what they think in their own words so you can hear how the way they write fleshes out their ideas. And then there's Smokey Wilson's book, "What about Rose? Using teacher research to reverse failure," which is clearly a book written in order to bring into the discussion a particular kind of student that she feels is left out.

I think of this as legitimate, not "dark." Of course I have been grumbling for years about how the learning of workers about how to survive the social relations of work is "left out" of most learning theory. That's my beef, and I don¹t consider it dark. I consider it worth doing.

Helena