To: "eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>, <ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org>, <ablunden@mira.net>
From: Helena Worthen <helenaworthen@gmail.com>
Date: 06/18/2013 11:02AM
Subject: Re: [xmca] Engestrom's Finnish Proposal

Eric et al:

I like to read whatever Engestrom material shows up on xmca; he's a brilliant and stimulating thinker, but sometimes I have to laugh.

The link Eric posted iactually goes to a proposal, as in "grant proposal," although I'm not sure who was going to fund it. Engestrom is proposing an ongoing research project that would take place at three sites, a healthcare provider, a bank, and a telecommunications outfit. He wants to study how his group, the Change Laboratory, works with these entities.

My problem with his creative approach to research is that he acts as if the whole world has moved on to whatever he's studying next. He talks about "the historical development of work," "work..transformed from mass production and mass customization to co-configuration of customer-intelligent products and services with long life cycles", "post-bureaucratic work", 'work as "a living, growing network…never finished," etc etc. This may be true of "work" as it occurs in the Change Laboratory, but for the vast majority of human beings, work has not moved on, is not post-bureaucratic, and does NOT involve being set up in a permanent, "never finished" contract with a hospital, bank or phone company to reflect on one's own process. Kind of like being on a permanent research retainer!

Somewhere along the line Engestrom has lost sight of fact that work is significantly related to earning a living, at least for most people. Maybe the concept is lost in translation. I suggest that he use a different word, however. "Creative exploration, " for example. But not "work"!!

Helena Worthen