From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Larry Purss
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 5:49 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] [ISCAR-ANNOUNCE] Sydney-2014 ISCAR Congress Website now open!

Martin,
Here is the article by Jussi attached;
Martin, I am intrigued by the notion of time-consciousness implicit in this article. The understanding of historical duration as *epochs*, *eras*, *phases*, *periods* as dynamic process.
Mike mentions this has become the canonical understanding of vygotsky and the chat school.
This way of exploring epistemological barriers [frameworks] and epistemological breaks [openings or gaps] AS epochal processes I find presents fascinating narratives through time.

A clear distinction in the article is the two versions of cultural historical theory. In the 1st instrumental version signs ARE psychological TOOLS. Signs and tools are more similar or equivalent. In the early work the unit of analysis was *object-oriented* action mediated by cultural *tools and signs* [instrumental tools and signs that get grasped, used, and put down]. Mediation BY social relations and OTHERS was not theoretically integrated in the 1st instrumental mediational triangle.
larry