Re: [xmca] Is College Moving Online? : The New Yorker

Apropos of this discussion of what's happening in the higher ed industry,
the survey that many XMCA people helped with, by filling it out and
passing it along, has been wrapped up and analyzed.It's about the working
conditions of online instructors.

I'd be happy to send along the full version of the report to anyone who
wants to see it (actually, I'd be really gratified if people wanted to
read it!).

An edited (down by half) version of it will be published in the AAUP
journal, Academe, in the fall. But in the meantime, this stuff is
accelerating and faculty are starting to push back. It's been front page
news in the NYTimes recently (Tamar Lewin, specifically -- see her April
30 article, which tells about "mentors" who work for Udacity).

The New Yorker article is good, and very New Yorker-ish. Good research,
comprehensive, but definitely the view from the Ivy League. Two sectors of
higher ed? The "selective" and the "non-selective"? It's usually broken
out as four -- the  private non-profits, state colleges and universities
(public), the community colleges, and the for-profits.

But it leaves out what has shifted the center of academic faculty culture
over the last 40 years: that now 75% of all faculty are contingents. (This
doesn't include the for-profits, where no reliable figures on how many
people are employed are available -- but they are all contingent, whether
full-tme or part-time).

Helena Worthen