Re: [xmca] On metaphysics: origin of the term

Hi Greg,

The quote is in Gadamer's book *Reason in the Age of Science*  (fourth
printing,1986). This book is a series of articles translated by Frederick
Lawrence. The quote comes from gadamer's  essay "Hegel's Philosophy  and
its Aftereffects". On page 30.

Greg, I am reading the various articles as I follow along with the theme of
this thread on metaphysics, activity theory, expressive signs, and
internalization.
This book, read AS  a conversation, is a meandering walk through the
same understandings as discussed on this theme.

As mike mentioned,   Rauno's article may generate further
conversation/thinking on this theme. I'm looking forward to the next
installment.

Larry

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> The question of institutional objective *spirit* was central to Hegel's
> metaphysics of freedom for all.
> Gadamer wrote,
>
> "This doctrine of the spirit objectified in institutions is not concerned
> with defending the existing institutions in their unchangeable correctness.
> Hegel defended institutions not in a wholesale fashion but against the
> pretence of knowing better on the part of the individual. With his
> overpowering spiritual force, he showed the limitations of moralism in
> social life and the untenability of a purely inward morality that is not
> made manifest in the objective structures of life that hold human beings
> together. So in fact he was able to show what kind of discrepancies, not to
> say what kind of injustices, as well as what kind of dialectic of
> unrighteousness, is connected with abstract moralism.
>
> Gadamer suggests the sociological *spirit* LIVES out of THIS way of
> understanding or approach to interpretation.
>
> The question of understanding *institutions* and *instituting*  processes
> AS objective spirit is one tradition which Andy invites us to return to on
> this theme.
>
> Larry
>

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Brecht,
>> Your commentary was very helpful and clarifying.
>> Your use of the word *inviting* and *invitation* also shifts the
>> conversation towards dialogue and being addressed.
>> Entering the conversation from two directions/perspectives also helps
>> clarify the relationships.
>>
>> Haydi,, you mentioned a direction from material to ideal.
>> Is this always an orientation from material to ideal, or is it possible
>> to also orient from the ideal to the material once the ideal is developed??
>>
>> Also is it possible to consider the *spark* that mediates the transition
>> of one to the other AS *imaginable* or *creative* sparks???
>>
>> Larry
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Haydi Zulfei <haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Brecht
>>> Leontiev speaks in clear words :
>>>
>>> [[The old metaphysical psychology knew only abstract individuals being
>>> subjected to the action of an environment that resisted them, who on
>>> their
>>> part exhibited characteristic psychic capabilities: perception, thought,
>>> will,
>>> feelings. Indifferently the individual under these circumstances was