[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[xmca] One week left to propose papers for Manchester social movements conference, 25-27 March
- To: C Barker <C.Barker@mmu.ac.uk>
- Subject: [xmca] One week left to propose papers for Manchester social movements conference, 25-27 March
- From: C Barker <C.Barker@mmu.ac.uk>
- Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:12:15 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thread-index: Ac4NEGfoETE3qMx0SQuFowMA/ly1Lg==
- Thread-topic: One week left to propose papers for Manchester social movements conference, 25-27 March
SOCIAL MOVEMENTS CONFERENCE - FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS
abstracts due by Monday 25th February 2013
>From 1995 to 2012, Manchester Metropolitan University hosted a series of very successful annual international conferences on 'ALTERNATIVE FUTURES and POPULAR PROTEST'.
We're very happy to announce that the Eighteenth AF&PP Conference will be held, between Monday 25th March and Wednesday 27th March 2013.
The Conference rubric remains as in previous years. The aim is to explore the dynamics of popular movements, along with the ideas which animate their activists and supporters and which contribute to shaping their fate.
Reflecting the inherent cross-disciplinary nature of the issues, previous participants (from over 60 countries) have come from such specialisms as sociology, politics, cultural studies, social psychology, economics, history and geography. The Manchester conferences have also been notable for discovering a fruitful and friendly meeting ground between activism and academia.
CALL FOR PAPERS
We invite offers of papers relevant to the conference themes. Papers should address such matters as:
* contemporary and historical social movements and popular protests
* social movement theory
* utopias and experiments
* ideologies of collective action
To offer a paper, please contact either of the conference convenors with a brief abstract:
EITHER Colin Barker, Dept. of Sociology
OR Mike Tyldesley, Dept. of Politics and Philosophy
Manchester Metropolitan University
Geoffrey Manton Building, Rosamond Street West
Manchester M15 6LL, England
Tel: M. Tyldesley 0161 247 3460
Fax: 0161 247 6769 (+44 161 247 6769)
(Wherever possible, please use email, especially as Colin Barker is a retired gent. Surface mail and faxes should only be addressed to Mike Tyldesley)
Those giving papers are asked to supply them in advance, for inclusion on a CD of the complete papers which will be available from the conference opening.
* Preferred method: send the paper to Colin Barker as an email attachment in MS Word. Any separate illustrations etc. should be placed at the end of the paper, in .jpg format.
* if this is impossible, post a copy of the text to Mike Tyldesley on a CD disk in MS Word format
* Final date for receipt of abstracts: Monday 25th February 2013
* Final date for receipt of actual papers: Monday 11th March 2013
CONFERENCE ARRANGEMENTS AND COSTS
The conference will run from lunch-time Monday 25th March until after lunch on Wednesday 27th March.
Cost, inclusive of three lunches, teas/coffees and copies of the Proceedings on CD, will be £140 (students and unwaged £80).
Hotels and hostels
Two relatively cheap hotels are available, only a few minutes’ walk from the conference venue on Oxford Road. They are Ibis, Charles Street, Manchester. www.ibishotel.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml<http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml>
Holiday Inn Express, 2 Oxford Road, Manchester.
There is information about Manchester hotels at www.hotelscombined.com/City/Manchester.htm<http://www.hotelscombined.com/City/Manchester.htm>.
We’re told that delegates can request a 10 per cent reduction in hotel bills if they visit www.hotelscombined.com/Education_Support<http://www.hotelscombined.com/Education_Support>, and we’ll be interested to gather people’s experiences with this.
There are two hostels only slightly further away, and still with walking distance of the conference venue:
Hatters, Newton Street, Manchester
Hilton Chambers, Stevenson Square, Manchester.
These are both part of the same chain, with Hilton Chambers being slightly more upmarket and thus slightly more expensive (but still pretty cheap). Both can be accessed via www.hattersgroup.com<http://www.hattersgroup.com/>.
We cannot do hotel or hostel bookings for you.
Conference participants will be invited to dine together at two local (and not too expensive) restaurants on the two conference evenings. Payment for dinners should not be made in advance, but directly to the restaurants on the night.
ALTERNATIVE FUTURES and POPULAR PROTEST XVIII
25th March to 27th March 2013
Tel No. _____________________________
Conference fee 140.00 .............
(post- & under-grad) 80.00 .............
TOTAL £ stlg .............
Cheques should be made payable to "Manchester Metropolitan University"
Credit or Debit Card payment (Visa and Mastercard only)
Card Number ......... ......... ......... .........
Expiry Date ...... / ......
Three-digit security code (on back of card) ….
Please let us know of any dietary or other requirements.
Please return the Booking Form by email to Colin Barker (email@example.com), or by email, fax or post to Mike Tyldesley (firstname.lastname@example.org; fax +44 161 247 6769; Dept of Philosophy and Politics, Manchester Metropolitan University, Geoffrey Manton Building, Rosamond Street West, Manchester M15 6LL, England)
"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "
xmca mailing list