[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] category quandry
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] category quandry
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:53:11 -0800
- Cc: Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition Internal List <email@example.com>
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references:from:date :message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=cw6is36di2zH8cmV08j5oKbVTCAb65zzJNy9eKun7nU=; b=hoKuFXGyKKBi9QtgaUxxc4oL+t/GOB7gcR8QiSzFgucH56sfBEbCss+aBwMZ5YaL4Y cM9lB1rz4EUIjmsJP+BJhs45SvlsPrhs0oUNFS9G8xvVSF49YWKheioyZc09Hn2LVE3v HX9m0stoyGIO2ytuIvpjwr5Oy8Tj5dXlfQjOrdv2I+Z4gU0b2S9wplXpGo2qEX2WUeel j4oDnIFfOY0i/DhKIav+eSypbamsghAIbAYBPZpyK744MvAzq5j5cfJbn/+8qIbDJHK4 uPirFdkI/QEmIDur1BSwQIZkm0+i6jWrYwcFvqyR6FbahpeZkkMdIZvupkDKFlR2+1uS rhxw==
- In-reply-to: <1360170349.11359.YahooMailClassic@web181206.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <1360170349.11359.YahooMailClassic@web181206.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
- Reply-to: email@example.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Now, at last, THERE is a business model for education in a democratic
society and an amicable world!!
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Peg Griffin <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Since it is the season for carnivale and I just saw the original of the
> enclosed, I was led to wonder whether it is more apt to say academics
> are in the catgeory of shills or the category of carnival barkers?
> Maybe it is very common?? And very welcomed?? Or very successful?? The
> mission mentioned in sentence two appears to be related to sales...
> I have replaced identifying information with XX's in the enclosed. The
> rest is verbatim, from a striving R1 public university in the US. I wonder
> if a campy vampy end to the "free" 15 hours would be expected?
> Maybe, "Come up and see me sometime, boys" and a feather boa...
> From: Office of the Provost [mailto: XXXXXXX@uni.edu] On Behalf Of Office
> of the Provost
> Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 9:49 AM
> To: XXXXXXXXXXX
> Subject: XXUNINAMEXX MOOCs: A Message from the Provost
> XXUNINAMEXX has adopted a MOOC model that we believe is manageable and
> scalable. The MOOC is an electronic delivery of structured content modeled
> to seek diverse opinions, encourage individualized learning, encourage
> participant connectedness, and generate opportunities in service of xxx’s
> mission. True to the purpose of MOOCs, XXUNINAMEXX faculty and
> administration are dedicated to the belief that much knowledge can be
> structured in accessible, affordable, and high quality educational
> experiences for all global citizens. To that end, XXUNINAMEXX MOOCs will
> provide the rough equivalent of one hour of a three hour course (15 contact
> hours), in a free, online platform-based environment.
> University-sponsored MOOCs will be subject to both selection and
> review processes, and a committee is being established for this purpose.
> Any faculty may create a MOOC in much the same way that they currently
> publish and promote other types of scholarly work, but without
> authorization they cannot imply or claim University sponsorship. If a
> faculty member is selected to build a XXUNINAMEXX MOOC, however, financial
> and marketing support will be made available. MOOCs that are funded and
> receive technical and academic support, for instance, will be those that
> attract students to courses that are necessary to complete a XXUNINAMEXX
> certificate or degree program.
> The idea is that a XXUNINAMEXX MOOC will serve as an introduction to
> an online, for-credit course, with credit received upon successful
> completion of the MOOC, plus enrollment and successful completion of the
> full course. Obviously, students may opt simply to take the MOOC for no
> credit. XXUNINAMEXX MOOC proposals will be evaluated in part with this
> completion option in mind.
> Proposals for a XXUNINAMEXX MOOC should be sent to Dr. XXXXXXX,
> Associate Provost, Distance Education [XXXXXX@uni.edu or
> xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list