[xmca] Symp. on research on work for AERA 2013

Mike, everyone --

I still hope to propose something.

It would be a symposium (and I would mark it as a potential roundtable) which means I'd need a roster of co-participants.  I would like it to focus on studies of work (work having a certain relevance to exits from poverty). I would prefer to make it a discussion and comparison of the efforts of researchers who have studied work (Sylvia Scribner, for starters -- I'm reading her studies of the assembly workers in the dairy plant -- but also Sawchuk, Lave, Billet, some people from Engestrom's outfit). I would like to see if there is any kind of historical development in the way work is researched. Of course, it would be great if the symposium discussion could come up with an agenda for researching work.

I'd appreciate some volunteers to go in on this and refine it with me.

I have been looking on the AERA website but can't see any place where it actually tells you how much registration costs.  Seems to me this information ought to be posted in a way that's easy to find. Any suggestions?

And I also had to smile when I saw that, if you paid full dues for 20 years and are now emeritus, you get a free membership!!!  This is definitely a hangover from the olden days when tenure-track and tenure was the norm and people could count on a 20-year career in a single job, ending with emeritus status. But there's no low-income membership rate for people who, having had many jobs, are now retired but not "emeritus" or whatever.

Helena Worthen
Visiting Scholar, UC Berkeley Center for Labor Education and Research
Helena.worthen@berkeley.edu
510-828-2745, 802-380-0193