Re: [xmca] Use of the term 'craft' in Lave’s “Changing Practice”

Tom,

I don't have a strong disagreement with your argument that the term 'craft' should be reserved for an activity both physical and social, if I follow you correctly. But I think that Ingold *would* say that writing is a craft.

According to my notes (I don't have the precise reference) Ingold argues that writing is not a technology but a bodily art; one writes not just with the hand but with the whole body. The complex tools - pen, typewriter, etc. - don’t amount to a technology in the sense of a set of rules or procedures; rather, writing is a matter of embodied skills. This is just as true of speech, but writing - with the independence of what is written from the writer, the rules of spelling and grammar, the irrelevance of tone of voice and paralinguistics - gives us our - mistaken - model of spoken language.

Perhaps people who are reading Jean Lave's book (such as Ellice Forman) can tell us more about why ethnography is to be taken as a craft.

Martin