Re: [xmca] Culture & Rationality

Peter, Martin

The question, "How teaching writing contributes over and above teaching
scientific concepts?"
leads to Cole's work in Africa or David Olson's book "World On Paper".

QUESTION:

"How language as discourse, when objectified as writing, makes explicit
the implicit habitual processes of "living" conversation.  Conscious
awareness of conversation and dialogue*as higher* psychological functions,
and develops or  *unveils* the relational dynamics of THIS process?"

The answer to this question may require another thread. THIS process of
making implicit conscious language consciously AWARE is a process of
enculturation, as learning to write  transforms conscious awareness of the
dynamic process of conversation or dialogue. We need to return to the
Greeks, to understand the historically implicated transformation
[development] of THIS neoformation of conscious awareness *as* HIGHER
psychological functions.
The infant is *thrown* into THIS GIVEN  historically formed *way* of
EXPLICIT conscious awareness within literate cultures.  Today, we are
*unveiling* deeper understanding of this form of enculturation developed
historically as  writing. THIS understanding, when aquired through
schooling, develops PARTICULAR types of higher mental functions MEDIATED
cultural-historically  by adult  *models* who enculturateTHIS particular
type of EXPLICIT conscious awareness of language processes which were
previously implicit habitual forms of consciousness.

Writing as technology,

by objectifying and unveiling the implicit consciousness within language
processing,

 transforms our relation to languaging. THIS  historically developing form
of higher mental functioning.
 is NOT merely a process of ontogenesis. The neoformation is *given* at
birth as adults  model and mediate aquiring THIS writing process which
leads to higher reflective psychological functioning as langauge develps as
conscious awareness. THIS developmental process is ESSENTIALLY
a dynamic  process and is essentially a cultual historically formed
neoformation.
The specific neuroanatomy may have to biologically develop [in adolescence]
 before THIS transformative process is aquired. [May require developing
capacities within the frontal cortex]

 THIS developmental process of historically emerging neoformations OF
reflective conscious awareness *as* higher mental functions is GIVEN to the
new born infant as models. Without the invention of writing [unveiling
language processes through objectifying THIS process] habitual language as
conscious would not have transformed to *higher* mental functions where
language comes under volitional direction.  However, the infant is thrown
into a life world where this capacity [as higher mental functions IS GIVEN]
and through mediation  and enculturation learns THIS PARTICULAR *way* of
understanding languaging as *higher* mental functions.

Larry

Larry