Re: [xmca] Smolucha - pronunciation/genealogy (Systems of functions, Vygotsky & Kurt Lewin's Uebergang)

Well Anton, thanks to Martin, I have now read the Lewin paper. If Lewin had sent this paper to Vygotsky c. 1926, I could believe that it caused some reconsideration in his approach. But you say this happened c. 1930. I find this odd. The "Aristotlean" features of science which Lewin critiques I find Vygotsky well on top of at least from 1928. I don't tend to put a lot of weight on his pre-1928 works and rely mostly on T&S and the manuscripts of the last period, so maybe I'm missing something. The critique of "neo-Aristotleanism" applies to mainstream trends of psychology to this day but I don't see them as relevant to criticism of Vygotsky. And also, I am surprised that Lewin treats Aristotle in such a one-sided way. There is much in the very things for which he condemns Aristotle which were given a rational form in Hegel's critique of positivist science, but Lewin makes no mention of this. But I had always assumed that Lewin was a significant source of LSV's knowledge of Hegel.

Andy

Anton Yasnitsky wrote:
Michael,

Yep, there is such evidence. In his letters (published by now) there are several references to the fact that he had just received the book from Lewin (i.e. directly from him). Also, here and there in his writings one can come across references to Lewin's methodological ideas

before the Uebergang paper, i.e. to the methodological works of mid-1920s that he apparently started reading and--even more importantly-- understanding by the end of the decade. I tend to interpret this process as truly groundbreaking experience for Vygotsky that started gradual change in his mindset from the mechanicism of his instrumental period of 1920s to really holisitc psychology of the last couple years of his life. Indeed, everything was changing
very fast, but that's the way it was for late Vygotsky, i.e. for Vygotsky from the end of 1930 until the summer of 1934. In terms of languages, I believe our character

was way more comfortable with German, but I still would assume that he could read English with relative fluency, too. On the other hand, judging by the quotes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, one of the most essential fiction oeuvre for him, he read it in Russian translation. So, in other words, I am not quite sure about English, but given that he directly corresponded with Lewin, the author could have easily sent him the work in the original, i.e. in German.

In addition, there were a bunch of guys there with first-hand knowledge of Lewin and his work(s), with whom he could converse in their native Russian:
the fact is that three former Lewin's students eventually landed in Moscow and, from 1930 were working/collaborating with Vygotsky and Luria too, I guess.

As to Lewin's field theory and its impact on Vygotsky I should say that as far as I can see it NOW, Lewin's impact, whatever profound it must have been,
was not too much reflected in Vygotsky's finished work of 1930s. But, in any case, the fact is that in some writings of 1930s the high frequency of the use of "field"

in various combinations and diverse phrasal expressions is really telling. Not to mention the famous/notorious "zone of possible [proximal, nearest] development" and the
not so famous "social situation of development", the phrases that, to me, are very much resemblant of Lewin's topological framework.

Final note: the interrelations between Vygotsky-Luria and Lewin-Koffka are a topic of a research in progress. Something has already been published,

in Russian only, I am afraid, something will be published shortly.

AY