Re: [xmca] RE: Smolucha article

>From my experience of dealing with Vygotsky's various texts, I am under the impression that Vygotsky is very vague and inconsistent of his use of "psychological function". The same apparently holds for his famous/notorious expression "higher psychological function"  which covers so many phenomena for him that it is virtually meaningless in his discourse, particularly so, in his discourse in its development throughout the decade of 1924-1934 .

I am afraid it does not help much, just a remark.

AY

________________________________
 From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu>
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:56:45 PM
Subject: [xmca] RE: Smolucha article

In the article, Smolucha asserts that to LSV, creativity is a higher mental function. (p. 59) This does not match my understanding of what a higher mental function is, i.e., a cultural concept. Creativity seems to me to be a means for developing a cultural concept, but not commensurate with one. Any help? Thx,p