Re: [xmca] Francois Cooren

Peter,
The large-scale trends and perspectives of society are formed by vast numbers of people, over many generations. Those who are deaf or who cannot speak are influenced by large-scale movements just as we all are. Instead of looking for wrenches to throw into the works of what I am saying, how about taking seriously the questions I am suggesting? These "exceptions" you bring up do not disprove the rule. In fact, they are not even exceptions. That you use them in that way shows that you do not understand - perhaps, do not want to understand - . I don't mean to be rude, but this apparent lack being motivated by authentic questions is appalling and leads to endless counterproductive intellectual wheel-spinning. Playing what seems to be the current academic game by keeping one's nose in statements of those from long ago and fruitlessly picking through, with a fine tooth comb their works, looking for some kind of guidance, is not what questers of understanding do! May I suggest that you and your colleagues give yourselves more credit than that, that you consider your questions without any preconceptions with which you do not really agree. Start from the beginning again and proceed carefully,  taking each step only when you are sure you are on solid ground so that you are not misled by conventional wisdom. This brings to mind the forever search for a cure by the American Cancer Society. There's much money to be made searching for high-tech treatments and not from simple and accessible actual cures. How many can join in your discussions? The rarified vocabulary and references you engage with doesn't seem to facilitate your understanding, but rather exclusivises your dialog and insulates academics from the participation of the public at large. I mean no insult, only candid expression.

		Joseph