Re: [xmca] Aspergers/ASD

Elizabeth,

Just reading a paper by Diehl and McFarland about interactional frames
across historical time and thought that it had an interesting suggestion to
why Aspergers' might have become such a noticeable phenomena in
postmodernity.

The paper deals primarily with historical forms of interaction across the
epochs of premodernity, modernity, and post-modernity using some of the
tools described by Goffman in his book Frame Analysis. But there is a
provocative little footnote (#28) in which they write:

"Conversely, this conceptualization may offer another way of thinking about
psychosis,
Asperger’s syndrome, and other mental health issues that problematize
routine
social interaction. Within this framework we can see such conditions as
related to
systematic situational misframings and misalignment between frame layers."

This by itself is nothing new (See Goffman's 1957? paper Mental Symptoms
and Public Order for a similar statement), but the larger argument that
they make about changes in the nature of interactional form across time
provides a novel argument for how/why Aspergers has become so salient in
post-modernity (although this takes a little dot-connecting work). This
argument suggests, to me, that the nature of the interactional forms
dominant in post-modernity provide the ground against which a figure of
Aspergers' Syndrome appears to "pop out" as a socially, culturally, and
institutionally recognizable identity.

And I thought the argument for historicizing interaction might be of some
interest to others as well. The paper can be found at:
http://ed.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/mcfarland/Diehl_McFarland2010.pdf
Paper is titled: Toward a Historical Sociology of Social Situations,
authors are Dan McFarland and David Diehl.

cheers,
-greg