Re: [xmca] Francois Cooren

I know the MSOC relies heavily on a Latourian understanding of non-human
actors.  When an artist says that the medium in which she works is alive
and speaks to her, most of us have no trouble granting the *artist* this
use of language.  Artists are quirky like that.  But the compelling idea
I'm hearing here from MSOC, and Latour, and Vygotsky, is that for mediation
to be an effectual process in interaction it *must* be that we are all
artists in tuning into and hearing the voices of non-human actants.

I've recently been using five-toed shoes with very thin soles, through
which I can feel the ground much more delicately than before.  So now I
tend to walk off the beaten path and off the sidewalk, because it's very
nice to feel the textured ground below my feet.  The problem is that this
is creating tension with my friends when we go on walks together --I see
them look a bit perplexed and get a bit annoyed when I start crossing a
patch of woods instead of staying on the straight and narrow of the
sidewalk.  Wrapped in thick shoes, they slip and slide, loose their footing
and find it hard to save face --so they get mad at me.

But it's not my fault, since the ground speaks differently to me now.

Ivan