Re: [xmca] Searching for essence

Hi Deborah and David

Thanks for posting the Boesch article on the violin.  Boesch pondering the
strange goal of searching for the elusive *pure* beautiful sound certainly
is an interesting contribution to this conversation.

Boesch on page 191 of the article offers an intriguing perspective about
the European mytheme of purity. He writes,

Such quest, for the *still more perfect* the *still more satifying* object
or action corresponds, I believe, no less to an European myth; it expresses
the anxiety of missing fulfillment, of losing power; but also of the
intuitive anticipation of *realities beyond* the present"

Boesch then comments,

"Thus, we now understand the person-violin dyad as a KIND of focus within
his total *I* - *non-I* relationship, polyvalent and interrrelated with
various areas of meaning..... Indeed, the sound felt to be perfect can be
produced only by a perfect fit between instrument and player.  Assimilation
and accommodation cannot be separated anymore: artist and violin form a
symbiotic whole, the I, so to say, blending into the object melting into
the I.  As long as it remains imperfect, the sound I experienced as
antagonism, as a signal of scisson, but when perfect it becomes the
symbolic proof of unity, of a cleavage overcome - in other words, it
symbolically confirms our potential to reach Utopia.  Sound, now, is the
objectified I ...." [p.191]

Boesch is using general assumption of mythemes to understand the European
myth of purity.

I would like to briefly add a response to Boesch as I read this article and
how Boesch explores our European mytheme [horizon]
 I asked,  How does the Buddhist utopia *fuse* the *I* and the *not I*?  My
answer is to consider the object of the outhouse or privy [which in our
horizon represents *dirt* or *noise* as matter that  is OUT of place and
is the antithesis of purity.] Boesch points out that dirt and noise can
also be symbolic mythemes. In fact *noise* [in the sense of NOT purified
sound can even possess aesthetic qualities] Boesch gives examples of the
rustling of leaves in a breeze, the murmur of water in a creek, the lapping
of waves on the shore.   The symbolic mytheme of Buddhism may be
symbolizing this particular relation to noise and dirt.  Outhouses did not
have a door for the explicit purpose of contemplating the sound of rain
drops spattering on the individual leaves.  Could the outhouse as an object
[within the Buddhist horizon] offer an experience of symbiotic unity where
the sound of the raindrop on leaf produced a perfect fit between nature
[not instrument] and listener. The I, blending into the object [sound] and
the object blending into the I as a symbiotic whole, symbolically
confirming our potential to reach Utopia?  Sound, NOW, is the objectified I
in perfect harmony with the cultural mytheme [horizon] AND the subject's
*fantasmic aspirations*?

Different *WAYS* but the same sense of moving beyond duality to a symbiotic
Utopia [as expressed within a horizon or mytheme].

Not sure how others respond to Boesch's semiotic-cultural form of cultural
psychology [as a tradition], but this *classic* article invited further
questions and openned up this personal response. I hope Boesch invites
further responses as the article opens multiple questions.

Larry